NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Friday, August 23, 2019

The Dolls of St. Dominics

The latest Comic Scene magazine (No.7) is out now and features an article I wrote about Pow! comic of the 1960s. Unfortunately there wasn't room to use all the images I supplied to illustrate the feature so I thought I'd show one of them here. 

The Dolls of St. Dominic's was heavily inspired by the St.Trinians books and films, but done in a traditional British comic style. This busy full-page illustration from 1967 is by Ron Spencer, showing the Dolls at their wildest. As I said in the Comic Scene article, this series is probably too rude to be published in a children's comic today. (It would be good to see the Dolls revived and updated one day though.)

4 comments:

Mark Carter said...

It looks like it's the Swots that are being terrorised, too!

Lew Stringer said...

Ron Spencer drew a lot of the Swots and Blots strips so I guess he just retained the look. The strip did bring in The Tiddlers later though, when Wham merged into Pow.

John Kerry said...

I love the St. Trinians films so ths is a treat. Never knew there were books though.

Lew Stringer said...

The books are where they originated from.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...