NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Welcome home, TV21!


Here's the news I hinted at on my other blog on Wednesday. As part of their Supermarionation limited edition Blu-Ray box set in October, Network are publishing a brand new one-off edition of TV21!

Here's the info from their website:


*EXCLUSIVE*  TV21 – Edition 243
Unique to this box set, we present a brand-new edition of the classic Century 21 comic TV21, taking up where the original series left off. Produced to the same size and specification as the original, this all-new, single issue features newly-commissioned comic strips from original 1960s illustrators including Gerry Embleton and Martin Asbury, alongside the very best in contemporary comic talent. Contributors include Mike Collins, Martin Baines, Lew Stringer and 2000 AD writer John Freeman. This official and special edition is only available as part of this set.
I can reveal now that I'm doing a new Zoony the Lazoon mini-strip for this edition of TV21. (As fans of Gerry Anderson's shows will know, Zoony was the alien comedy relief in some Fireball XL5 episodes.)
This is a very exciting one-off project for all of us involved. TV21 (or TV Century 21 as it was originally called) was my favourite adventure comic of the 1960s. For those of us who grew up in that era, TV21 was the pinnacle of British comics, not only because it featured fantastic artwork and a distinctive contemporary design, but also because it brought Gerry Anderson's sixties shows into a connected Century 21 universe. TV21 was the coolest comic of the 1960s.
Make no mistake; this is an official edition of TV21, professionally commissioned and produced. Anyway, the deadline is tight, so I'd better blast off and get on with it! 
For the full details of the Supermarionation box set, see the Network website here:

6 comments:

George Shiers said...

I would love a copy of the comic but to buy the box set will probably be expensive, especially if it's limited to 2,500 copies. Oh well...

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, I don't know how much it will cost yet. There's a lot in that package so it won't be cheap but we'll see.

Hibernia Comics said...

What a brilliant idea, a lot of 'extras' with this sort of thing tends to be tat, but what a great idea. I have to confess that TV21 is well before my time, but I have a few copies and the quality does shine through. Great line up on creative duties, will you have a preview on the Blog?

David

Lew Stringer said...

I hope to. If Network don't send me advance art I'll show a couple of panels after it's published if I'm allowed to. From the tiny images shown in the promo there it looks very good.

John Pitt said...

It's such a pity that the comic isn't available on its own. I would love a copy!

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, I'd like a few spare ones too but I suspect contributors will only get one each. (Which is one more than publishers usually send out.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...