NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Nits of the Round Table (Tiger, 1966)

I'm insanely busy at the moment so this blog post will be brief. In 1966, Leo Baxendale had been working for Odhams for a couple of years on Wham! and Smash! but then moved to Fleetway to freelance on The Nits of the Round Table for Tiger weekly, starting in the issue dated 26th November 1966. Here's a few examples of that short run strip. (It ended in 1967.) Some of these strips look like Mike Brown may have collaborated with Leo on them but I'm not sure. (I think Leo explained the situation in his autobiography, but I've mislaid it at present.) Anyway, classic 1960s fun! (The strip was reprinted in Buster in 1973.) Click on pages to see them much bigger. Enjoy!






5 comments:

John Pitt said...

I didn't get any Tigers until much later, so this is one Leo strip I'm seeing for the first time. Thanks for sharing.

Lew Stringer said...

It was fairly new to me too. I'd heard of it, but didn't own any until I bought a handful of cheap Tiger issues last week.

As you can guess, this was in the days before Tiger became an all-sport theme comic.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Lew. Now I'm orff to get me sweets.

Alistair

Unknown said...

Wonderful stuff thanks for posting this as I was getting this strip mixed up in my minds eye with Leo's strip in Wham! "General Nitt and his Barmy Army" - This is the one that I really liked as a kid. I agree, it does look like Mike Brown (a wonderful cartoonist also) was involved in these strips as well - glad you're keeping busy with work Lew, long may it last.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Paul.

I think a few people have mixed up the two strips over the years. To be expected I suppose, as they are similar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...