NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cloris and Claire by Roy Wilson

I scanned these strips years ago but must have forgotten to blog about them as I've just found them as I was clearing out old files on my Mac. The strip is Cloris and Claire, The Sporting Pair which appeared in June weekly in the early 1960s. (These examples are from 1962.) The artist was the legendary Roy Wilson, sadly nearing the end of his life (he died in 1965) but his talent was as strong as ever. Click on the images to see them larger, particularly the one above which I've enlarged even more to show in more detail Wilson's flawless brushstrokes. 

According to Denis Gifford's Encylopedia of Comic Characters the scripts were reworked plots from Reg Wooton's Sporty strips. Cloris and Claire was later reprinted in Sally in 1969/70 and retitled Sue and Prue, The Clueless Two

10 comments:

John Pitt said...

Ah, now see, I need to find an example of Sue & Prue as well!
Keep the new finds coming, Lew.

Peter Gray said...

http://kazoop.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Sporting%20Sue%20and%20Her%20Trainer%20Prue

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Peter, although that's a completely different strip. Interesting. So either Denis was wrong or IPC had two different 'Sue and Prue' strips running in both Sally and Buster around the same time!

John Pitt said...

Thanks Peter, I couldn't find anything myself on Google.

John Pitt said...

Well, I suppose the Buster Sue & Prue strip could have finished a few years before the Sally strip in '67. I don't recall seeing it in Buster around the mid 60's?

Lew Stringer said...

I've just checked the Buster Index and Sporting Sue was in the comic from 7th July 1962 to 23rd Feb 1963. Around the same time as Cloris and Claire was in June. Two entirely different strips.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Roy Wilson art. This guy is the only old school artist I enjoy looking at, all the other pre-Baxendale/Reid/Law cartoonists leave me cold. I believe his flowing style could have adapted to any era. More please!

Lew Stringer said...

I don't know if you've seen it but there's quite a bit of Roy Wilson artwork on this blog if you put his name in the search window.

Wilson was certainly the best of those illustrators but I do like the work of people such as Reg Parlett, George Parlett, and John Jukes, - even though it's clear they were instructed to imitate Wilson's style.

Anonymous said...

Lew, tried the search for Roy Wilson several times on your site, but the only result I get is this article.

Lew Stringer said...

That's strange. It works for me. Here you go:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=Roy+Wilson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...