NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Who remembers SUPER Z BAR?

Some people hate adverts in comics but I think they add to their history and nostalgia. Case in point; who remembers Super Z Bar ice lollies now? I don't, but I remember Booster (not that I liked ice lollies much). This ad is from Boys' World in the summer of 1964.

If you're interested in seeing more old adverts from British comics you can click on the following links:









8 comments:

Lorne said...

Not clicked on the links, but the one that always springs to mind advert wise is Count Dracula's Deadly Secret.

DP said...

Do you remember Whoppa lolly? I'd like to see that one again.

Lew Stringer said...

Click on the links. You'll find ads for both of those.

Jim O'Brien said...

Totally agree Lew that ads in comics are fascinating - and to be honest the number of them in comics from the 70s never reached the narrative-ruining proportions you tend to find in many (US) comics these days, where to find an actual, ad-free, double-page spread is a rarity.
Plus a lot of the ads in comics...were comics, with art by some top names (Frank Langford et al).

Unknown said...

I remember "Z Bars"being slabs of Toffee. They cost 3 old pence.

Lew Stringer said...

Strange that two different products used the same unusual name. Both inspired by Z Cars presumably.

mj said...

I'm sure I hovered up every ice cream/Lilly I could lay hands on but this one passed me by! Looks a bit average...I agree Lew, adverts of the time are great social history!

Lew Stringer said...

Super Z Bar sounds like the sort of lolly I would have liked. I preferred some with ice cream rather than being all ice, but I don't remember it. Woppas, Splits, Top Ten, were probably my favourites but I didn't have a lolly that often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...