NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Angel Nadal Quirch 1930 to 2016

Sad news. The comic artist Angel Nadal Quirch has passed away. Known mainly by the name of Nadal, although most of his UK work was uncredited, he was the regular artist of the title character in Buster weekly from 1962 to 1974. For many of us who first discovered that comic in those years he was the definitive artist of the strip, providing lots of smiles with his fun, energetic artwork. 

Nadal was also the artist on a popular long-running strip called The Nutts in Valiant. Again providing classy, funny visuals for this well-loved series. 

Comics historian Steve Holland has researched and written a lengthy tribute to the artist over on his Bear Alley blog, which you can see by clicking this link:
http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/angel-nadal-quirch-1930-2016.html

My condolences to the family and friends of Angel Nadal Quirch, truly one of the best artists to work in comics.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice tribute Lew and good to see others have also marked this sad occasion on other sites. Angel was one of my favourite cartoonists as a kid although I didn't know his name. Normally I was always pretty good and recognising the artist styles (although Baxendale ghost artists probably went over my head) but I didn't realise Angle drew "The Nutts" (obvious now looking at it here).

Lew Stringer said...

Most of us knew of him simply as 'Nadal', and I think he did sign some work as that. For many years I thought his full name was Angel Nadal, and I didn't know of his Quirch surname until today with the tribute on Steve Holland's blog.

Rabsmith said...

A brilliant artist/cartoonist by any standards: I knew his stuff looked different from British comics artwork even when I was a kid in the 60s. I think he also drew Minnies Magic Mixer for early Whizzer and Chips......? He was brilliant at drawing young women as well------today I can clearly see the European influence of Asterix and Lucky Luke in his style. An important part of UK comics , I enjoyed his style just as much as Watkins or Baxendale.

Lew Stringer said...

That's right, Rab. He did draw some of the Minnie's Mixer strips. I'm not sure if he did all of them though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...