NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Friday, November 10, 2017

New Who

©BBC
No doubt you'll have seen this image already on social media, and it'll be in all the papers later today, but I thought I'd post it for the few of you who may not have seen it. It's the first official photograph of Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor! A new look, and an outfit that's completely different to what most of us were expecting. There's something clown-like about it, which harkens back to Patrick Troughton's era, but it also embraces modern sensibilities with its rainbow motif. I think any travels to the Victorian era might raise a few eyebrows with those bare ankles though. 

Jodie Whittaker makes her debut in Doctor Who on Christmas Day, and her full series starts next Autumn. By which time, hopefully all the obvious "Mork" jokes will have subsided. 

Coincidentally, today I'm working on the Daft Dimension strip for the Christmas issue of Doctor Who Magazine. No, the 13th Doctor will not feature in it. Although I was the first to put her in a strip (see here) her next comics appearance won't be until the new series begins in 2018.

3 comments:

James Spiring said...

I've seen a few Mork jokes relating to this today. We should counter them by saying Mork looks like Dennis the Menace! He had a red and black stripy jumper in the photo people were using.

As for this costume, I do like it. There's always some sort of quirk with the Doctor's clothes. I think if they visit historical eras, they'd alter the look a little - Peter Capaldi didn't wear his anachronistic hoodie in the 19th century. So I don't see an issue with the bare ankles.

Lew Stringer said...

I was only joking about the ankles, James, but I think it'd make a humourous moment in the show if someone did refer to it next time there's a story set in Victorian times.

SID said...

Well, in 44 days' time we will our first female Doctor.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...