NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Monday, November 07, 2011

It's Judge Sweeny Toddler!

Back in 1985 IPC indulged in a rare moment of self-parody in the comics departments when the cover of their humour weekly Whoopee! spoofed 2000AD. For one week only the popular bad baby strip Sweeny Toddler became Judge Sweeny Toddler in a homage to Judge Dredd. Even the logo for that issue was redesigned to mimic the then-current 2000AD masthead.

Script by Graham Exton, artwork by Tom Paterson. Anyone found not laughing will be sentenced to 30 days in an iso-cube.

4 comments:

John Thomas said...

that was brilliant but dont you mean intra-company parody because if wikipedia is correct whoopee and 2000AD were both owned by IPC in 1985.

Lew Stringer said...

Actually I thought I'd typed "internal company" but that would have been just as confusing. I've changed it now.

Anonymous said...

The plucked chicken on the "Toddlers" shoulder is a touch of manic class :) -McScotty

Anonymous said...

I got Whoopee! every week from about 1980 until it closed, but I don't remember this! I shall have to go a-hunting through my mum's attic...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...