NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Monday, November 30, 2015

The Avengers by Pat Williams (1966)

Just time for a quick post today. Over on the Comics UK Forum, Sue Butcher recently asked members for samples of Pat Williams' artwork on The Avengers strips he did for TV Comic. This is the only example I have, and is from TV Comic No.769, dated 10th September 1966.

There are examples of selected panels over at the excellent Winged Avenger website here:
http://wingedavenger.theavengers.tv/comics/tv_ep_era.htm

I must admit I hadn't paid much attention to Pat Williams' work before but I really like his style. It's superb for black and white work, with a great inking technique. It'd be nice to see these strips collected in the same way that the Diana strips by Emilio Frejo and Juan Gonzales are soon to be. 
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-avengers-comic-strip-1967.html  

4 comments:

BP Johnson. said...

I loved the Avengers. But ive never seen a comic that quite got the humour right, and theres been many an attempt.

Lew Stringer said...

I agree in regards to the TV Comic and Diana issues but I haven't seen the Grant Morrison Steed and Mrs.Peel comics so I don't know how close they were to the source material.

Caspar said...

Hi. I'm a bit late seeing this, but better late than never. Pat Williams was my dad, and it's nice to know someone's still enjoying his work (especially since that wingedavenger guy sure ain't!). My dad's next job for TV Comic was Dr Who, so one way or another he got some fun stuff to draw.

Lew Stringer said...

I'm sure that many, many readers liked your dad's work, Caspar. It's a nice energetic style that's easy on the eye. You must be very proud of him. Thanks for getting in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...