NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Friday, October 16, 2015

Oink! It was piggin' brilliant

Over two years ago, Phil Boyce set out to review every issue of eighties sensation Oink! comic on the anniversary of its publication date. Today, he reaches the final issue with an affectionate appraisal of its contents. Is this the end of The Oink! Blog then? Not at all. Wait and see what Phil has planned next. You can read his latest review here:
http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/68-final-pork-chop.html

I must admit I haven't re-read Oink! since it was published, so even as a regular contributor I've had fond memories stirred by Phil's reviews of each issue. At the time, those of us working on the comic knew it was good, but perhaps we were too close to it to realize just how good it was. Revisiting it from a modern-day perspective has given me a fresh appreciation of the work of my colleagues and the editors. It really was a unique, thought-provoking, and (most importantly) funny comic that shied away from formula to produce some memorable strips.

8 comments:

PhilEdBoyce said...

Thanks very much for all your kind words and support Lew throughout the run-through of these terrific comics. It's been a blast and I'm so happy to see this classic comic so fondly treasured by so many today. Through it I've got to know so many talented folks such as yourself and have been inspired in more ways than one - the future for the blog is certainly bright!

Thanks again and long may Oink!'s memory live on.

Lew Stringer said...

You're welcome Phil. It's been heartening to see how much our work meant to you and others on the Oink Facebook group. Made it all worthwhile.

BP Johnson. said...

I love Phil's blog. It's just very sincere and natural. Not only is it a trip down memory lane for people of a certain age group of which i am a member, Phil's warm personality shines through the reviews. The impression left is often as if a grown up Phil is having a chat with young Phil. Don't stop blogging Boyce!

PhilEdBoyce said...

Wow thank you very much Benpeter, that's a lovely thing to say. I did sometimes think do people just skip on to the strips but then I get such wonderful feedback from the likes of yourself and Lew and it makes me so happy that people are enjoying it so much. The comic deserves to be remembered. I won't stop blogging, you can count on that!

Hibernia Comics said...

I tend not to follow blogs, rather binge on them, and the Oink blog is one. I bought Oink irregularly when it came out. I was at an age that I was leaving humour comic behind, but I have a lot more issue than I thought. Oink was great fun, such a diverse range of strips, Frank, Ham Dare to the more traditional strips by Lew, these were straddling the Viz horse a little to good effect.
Wildcat was the last real attempt at a traditional adventure comic, Oink was the same for Humour comics, but with a real attempt to do something different for kids. Who know if Smiths had not moved shelves where it would be.

John Pitt said...

And thanks to you, too, Lew, for encouraging Phil to create this unique work of reference!

Lew Stringer said...

Oh I'm sure Phil would have done it without my input, John. It's a mark of what a great comic Oink! was that so many of its readers still talk so fondly of it today.

Yes, I think Smiths deliberate misplacement of the comic must have sabotaged its potential sales. All because one parent complained about one story. It's since made children's comic publishers so nervous about rocking the boat. Totally ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

That parent is one of history's all time gits. I bet his/her kids turned out to be right hooligans.

One of the many wonderful things about Oink was the pop cultural awareness of its satire, something lacking in humour comics of the 80s IMO. Another comic may have featured a character dreaming of becoming a superhero, but only Oink seemed knowledgeable enough to incorporate a piss take of a legendary front cover into the story, complete with such details as a UK cityscape in place of Gotham skyscrapers and the DC/ACNE logo.

Reading Phil's blog has really made me appreciate this aspect of the comic all over again. Of course we're drowning in post-modern pop cultural gubbins nowadays, but at the time it was very clever and refreshing stuff indeed. Well done Lew and Phil!

Adam P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...