NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Prepare your Thrill-Circuits!

If you haven't already seen it on DVD, there's something on TV tonight that's essential viewing for every fan of British comics. Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD is on Film 4 at 11.25pm. 

This excellent documentary produced by Metrodome covers the origins of 2000AD, its enduring appeal, and its incredible influence. There are interviews with numerous comics creators including John Wagner, Pat Mills, Kev O'Neill, Dave Gibbons and more. It really pulls no punches and tells some home truths about the IPC comics scene in the 1970s before The Galaxy's Greatest Comic came along.

The film has been available on DVD since last year, so if you miss it on TV, don't support piracy, buy the DVD and support independent film making. The disc also includes a PDF e-comic with the first chapters of many 2000AD strips, including Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Nemesis, Slaine, Nikolai Danté and more. 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Shock-Story-2000-DVD/dp/B015KOIOPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1459961672&sr=1-1&keywords=future+shock 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw that on Film4 a few days ago (I wasn't aware there was a documentary film made) AND i have to say (as a non 2000AD fan) it was very good indeed and did not pull any punches - Pat Mills was more than frank - not much love lost between him and Diggle and Bishop ( apologies for using surname's I cant recall their first names). The DVD is on sale in FOPP (not sure if thats a store throughout the UK) and HMV for £5 (worth picking up next time I am in Glasgow)

Lew Stringer said...

I'm surprised you hadn't heard about it as it was covered extensively in the fan press. (Although I don't think I got around to reporting it.) Has it tempted you to buy 2000AD or any collections?

It's Andy Diggle and Dave Bishop, to give them their full names. I don't think FOPP is around here so it may be just North of the border.

Unknown said...

I don't really regularly read the fan press to be honesty (like Bleeding Cool etc) Lew, I may have seen something but it never really registered.

I do pick up 2000AD now and then (the last 12 months its been pretty good) and was reading the Paul Grist strip in the Megazine but cutting back on buying so many comics now that I tend not to read (I always check it out and pick it up if its something I may like - Ihave 2 unread issues on my coffee table at present) I picked up a few of the earlier collections like Judge Dredds (Cursed Earth) and Rouge Trooper back in the day and a few others most recently I have bought 2 ABC Warriors books (the Clayton Crane books) which I really like. I am looking to get the Block Wars books though.

Unknown said...

Sorry meant to add yes it has tempted me to look out a few 2000AD collections like Slaine and as noted Block Wars

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...