NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Cool day at Collectormania

I had a good day at Collectormania 23 at Milton Keynes yesterday. I didn't really know what to expect, having never attended a comics show in Milton Keynes before but I had a steady number of visitors to my table and enjoyed talking to, and sketching for, those who dropped by.

The event was held at Stadium MK and was situated around the concourse. As some of you know, I've never been into football and at 56 years of age this was my first ever visit to a football stadium! I must admit that, even with empty seats and no game on, I can understand the excitement and atmosphere such places could generate now that I've stood and gazed across the massive stadium.

With the show being on the concourse it did get a bit chilly at times due to the wet weather yesterday but at least we had fresh air all day. It was very busy, with thousands of visitors there to see guests from the world of film, TV, comics and sport including Nick Blood from Agents of SHIELD and the legendary Jack Charlton!


There were only a handful of comics guests at this event so it was an honour to be one of the few. Comics colleagues Lee Townsend, Martin Griffiths, and Mike Collins were also busy sketching for numerous visitors. 
Lee Townsend and Martin Griffiths at their tables.

Mike Collins, yesterday.

Cosplayers were very much in evidence too of course, including The Brigadier and a captured Dalek! 

All in all, a very pleasant day. My thanks to organizer Mike Conroy for the invite. The event continues today (Sunday 14th) but although I'm not there my three comics colleagues will be. I'm sure they're busy even as I type these words. 

I know some people have criticized these bigger shows for expanding to attract fans from TV and sport but I think it's a good thing. Most of the visitors I met yesterday had stopped reading comics when they left their childhood, (just like most people do) but some recognized my characters from the 1980s and others were just happy to meet a Beano artist. It's not going to turn them into comic fans and they're not going to be interested in adult comics, but the nostalgia factor intrigues them. 

The conventions that only focus on comics are brilliant too of course, and long may they continue, but the massive media/comics events have their own appeal too. There are a lot of people out there who attend these shows and they can be a good day out for fans and creators alike. 
http://www.collectormania.com/miltonkeynes/

2 comments:

Mel said...

It was good to chat with you again yesterday Lew. A lot of people on the Forum were complaining that the show was too sports heavy with not enough media guests. Some media guests had recently cancelled, I was disappointed not to meet Derek Jacobi as I'd only bought my photo ticket a couple of weeks earlier. When I was getting an autograph from Samuel Anderson he said he was a big boxing fan and was having a great time there. He'd even had a photoshoot with Frank Bruno.
Roll on the London Comic Con in a months time.

Lew Stringer said...

It was good to see you too, Mel. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, it was a shame that several media guests had to cancel. I'm sure Erin Richards from Gotham would have been hugely popular but sadly she pulled out.

It was interesting to see so many sports stars there (even though I personally didn't recognise most apart from the footballers of the sixties). It brought in a different audience. I overheard some football fans being dismissive about "nerds" (without realising the irony that they're 'nerds' of footie) but everyone else seemed to mix well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...