NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

DWM 491 preview

Issue No.491 of Doctor Who Magazine is out tomorrow (Sept 17th), and it's gonna be a whopper! As the new series of Doctor Who starts on BBC One on Saturday, the official magazine is a bumper 100 page edition, bagged with a massive free double-sided poster.

It's a fantastic issue with a wide variety of Who-related content packed into its pages. There's the third and final part of the 12th Doctor comic strip Spirits of the Jungle which runs to 12 pages by Jonathan Morris, John Ross, and James Offredi...
A Daft Dimension humour strip by me, focusing on the Daleks...
Previews of the first four episodes of the new series...
An interview with prosthetic effects supervisor Kate Walshe... 
A feature on Patrick Troughton's last Doctor Who adventure, The War Games...
Plus loads more features!

As I said, the issue is polybagged, and the bag artwork is what's featured at the top of this post. Inside the bag, the actual magazine has this cover...
...which is in fact a wraparound cover...
Daleks from all eras in one scene? What's going on? Find out in Doctor Who this Saturday night at 7.40pm on BBC One!

Doctor Who Magazine No.491, 100 pages plus massive poster. £5.99. On sale from Thursday 17th September 2015.  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this any connection to the Marvel Doctor Who weekly that first came out in October 1979 ? Last year I watched the entire series (season ?) of Doctor Who on iplayer on my tablet but I haven't decided whether I'll bother with this one - I think Capaldi's very good in the role though, best since Tom Baker even :)

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, it's the very same magazine. The weekly became Doctor Who Monthly with issue 61 and Doctor Who Magazine later, but it's kept the same numbering and is the longest running publication tied into a TV series. The Doctor Who comic strip has been running even longer as it started in TV Comic in November 1964, moved to Countdown/TV Action in 1971, back to TV Comic in 1973 until 1979, then only a few months break before Doctor Who Weekly started in October 1979.

These days of course there's also the rival publication Doctor Who Comic, published by Titan.

Lew Stringer said...

And Doctor Who Adventures for younger readers, which is now also published by Panini.

John Pitt said...

Good to see the "Red For Danger" Supreme Dalek back, ( even though Captain Jack blew him up! )
All this AND the Hachette partwork out again too! I'm in danger of Thrill Overload, as Tharg would say!

Lew Stringer said...

I guess there's more than one red Dalek. Bring back Zeg!

John Pitt said...

You know, when I went to see the first Peter Cushing film on release, I was SO excited when I first saw a red Dalek in it, I actually thought it WAS Zeg at first! That story in TVC21 remains my favourite ever Dalek Comic story to this day! Happy days and happy memories!

Lew Stringer said...

Same here. That image of Zeg fighting the Black Dalek was so powerful. (It's shown on my blog a couple of times if you search for Zeg.) I called my red Dalek Rolykin Zeg when I was a kid.

By the way John, you're the only person I know who calls the comic "TVC21". :) Even the editors sometimes abbreviated TV Century 21 to TV21 right from the first issue when they referred to it. But never TVC21. Is it just a habit you formed when you were younger? Not a criticism. Just curious.

Bob said...

"All eras", except the naff Fisher Price "New Paradigm" era. Quietly swept under the carpet, next to the Slitheen XD

John Pitt said...

I do tend to abbreviate everything for easy typing. I put the C in for the editions when Century was in the title and leave it out when they dropped it. Orally though, I never put a C in.
I suspect that I may well be the only "DC Th" typer too!
Yeah, I well remember those posts, but time for a revisit, methinks!

John Pitt said...

Otherwise known as the "Tellytubby" Daleks! And under the carpet is the best place for them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...