NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

State of the industry

I was recently contacted by journalist David Barnett regarding an interview for The Independent. It's online today and is a general piece about the current state of British comics for children. Fellow artist Jamie Smart is also interviewed. 
The easy option would have been to bemoan that comics aren't what they used to be but that would be a great disservice to the great work that's around today and would be a mistake to view the situation from inside a nostalgia bubble. We tried to keep things as upbeat as possible and I hope it's a mainly positive article. The focus is heavily on The Phoenix comic but I managed to plug other titles too.
The item is solely about children's comics in newsagents, so 2000AD doesn't get a look in, nor do the many UK indie titles sold in comic shops, mail order, or at conventions. I had mentioned that graphic novels for kids were increasing but that bit was cut out unfortunately (as was a plug for Aces Weekly). 

It's also worth adding here that now Rebellion have bought the old Fleetway comics we'll see some classic material back in print. Not necessarily as comics, but definitely in book form. (Valiant's One Eyed Jack being the first, later this year.)

All in all the journalist did a good job. Have a read and see what you think at this link...

Post your thoughts, pro or con, in the comments section below.

6 comments:

James Spiring said...

Whoops. They said you run a blog about British comics at lewstringercomics.blogspot.co.uk - but that blog is where you promote your own work, I think they were supposed to plug this one?

The rest of the article is decent. You made a good point about cover mounts not going away any time soon. Why can't more titles use them sparingly or not at all, like Beano and Phoenix do? Those titles sell on their content, which is how it should be.

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, I noticed that, but I don't mind them plugging my work blog. Re: The Beano, it's been established for so long that it can get away with not having gifts every issue (and gifts would push the price up anyway). The Phoenix only has very limited newsstand distribution so it can also get away with no gifts. If it were to be sold in supermarkets I think it would have to carry gifts, which really goes against what The Phoenix is trying to achieve (has achieved).

Anonymous said...

They should have asked other bloggers for their opinions, not just you.

Lew Stringer said...

I think I was interviewed in my capacity as a comic creator of 30 years, not as a blogger, Anonymous.

The Captain said...

As someone who has enjoyed comics since my youth I am saddened but not surprised by the change to the market. It was an industry I wanted to work in at one time.

Lew Stringer said...

What stopped you, Cap?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...