NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Scenes from Sheffield

I enjoyed my day at the Sheffield Film and Comic Con yesterday. The event is in its second day today but I was only there for the Saturday. As always it was good to catch up with fellow comic pros and chat with readers. Thanks to all of you who asked for a sketch. It was also nice to chat with Doctor Who's Sophie Aldred and Frazer Hines who briefly dropped by my table. (As many of you will know, Sophie provided the voice for Dennis the Menace in the 2009 Dennis and Gnasher cartoon TV series).

I was at my table most of the day but here's a few photos I took whist having a break. 

It was great to catch up with artist Lee Sullivan again after several years. I've known Lee since the Marvel UK days. A fantastic artist. Here he is with a sketch of Peter Capaldi he was working on for a fan. Check out Lee's work at his website: 
http://www.leesullivanart.co.uk


My table position was sandwiched between two major talents, with Lee Sullivan on my left and the fantastic Yishan Li on my right. Here's Yishan doing one of her superb portrait sketches of one of the many who stopped by her table yesterday. Visit her website here: 
http://www.liyishan.com/


The mighty Paul Grist was there too. I haven't seen him for a long time so it was good to chat and purchase the copies of The Weird World of Jack Staff that I'd missed. It's an excellent comic that homages the classic comic heroes of the past and is a must buy for every UK comic enthusiast. Copies of Paul's books are available on Amazon


Cosplayers are a big thing at these events now, with many spending hours designing their costumes in preparation for a show. I particularly liked this Dan Dare outfit. (Sorry I didn't catch your name. Email me if you wish me to add it.) In retrospect perhaps I should have chosen a better background for the photo rather than outside the Ladies! Sorry Colonel Dan! 

Two people were inside a Star Wars walker they'd designed out of card! Here it is, striding off to encounter the Hulk!

While not as packed as the London Expo, the Sheffield event was still very busy. Here's a few shots I took of the hall...





This was the first Sheffield event but there's already one scheduled for next year, on 15th / 16th August 2015! Here's the flyer...

The organisers, Showmasters, (http://www.showmastersonline.com) also have many other events on the calendar for the next 12 months. Here's the list for you to keep the dates in your diaries...

My thanks to Mike Conroy and Cassandra Conroy for the invite and hospitality. Good to see you both again. 

5 comments:

Simon Bromley said...

Hm. 15/16 August 2015, eh? If I save up, maybe I can make that one.

PhilEdBoyce said...

It's such a shame so little of these types of events occur over here in Northern Ireland!

Have to say, the picture there of the stadium where you can see the rows of seats in the background - it's kind of like a group of spectators watching the comic fans! Maybe we're rare in Sheffield ;)

Lew Stringer said...

Ha! Yes, it could be a good way for some fans to air their grievances. Put 'em in the arena to out-snark each other to the death. :)

There's an event in Belfast in October Phil. Is that convenient for you?
http://www.belfastfilmandcomiccon.com/index.html

PhilEdBoyce said...

Ahh but YOU'RE not at that one Lew! ;)

Lew Stringer said...

Well that is true. :) Hopefully I'll be invited to one over your part of the world one day. Events are on the increase so I'm sure there'll be others in Northern Ireland in times to come.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...