NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Day They Changed Smash!

It's almost 50 years to the week when IPC totally revamped Smash! into an almost unrecognisable comic. The new-look Smash! had its fans, but the changes were a step too far for some of us. I eventually warmed to it, but the unique comic it had been was sorely missed. 

A few years ago I blogged about the changes, and if you missed that article you can read it here:
https://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-big-smash-revamp-of-1969.html

Incidentally, I've put The Swots and the Blots into a cameo appearance in the all-new Cor!! and Buster Special, on sale 17th April! 
https://treasuryofbritishcomics.com/catalogue//B0011



2 comments:

Simon said...

Funny, I just pulled the first new look issue of Smash! out of storage along with some earlier editions and Pow! and Wham! Back in the day I found the change a sharp jolt but enjoyed some of the new strips.

Lew Stringer said...

I accepted it at the time but only stuck with it for a few weeks. Then I started buying it again a year later and enjoyed it more, sticking with it until the end, and into its merger with Valiant. However, comics like that never got a look in with me when the Odhams titles were around, but by 1970 I realised those style of comics were not coming back so I settled for IPC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...