NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The more things change...


...the more they remain the same. Last week I blocked the option for people to post anonymous comments to my blogs in order to prevent abusive trolling and the numerous spam messages I get. 

I said at the time that if it inconvenienced genuine visitors to my blogs then I'd have a rethink. Unfortunately some of you were inconvenienced because you prefer not to sign up with Google or the other similar accounts. I appreciate that, so a solution was needed.

I've given this some thought and one other option would be allow anonymous comments but with a CAPTCHA where you type in a code so Blogger knows you're human. This is a great way to prevent spam, which as I said last week, was the main problem. 

However, I don't like CAPTCHA. I find it adds even more inconvenience to commenting, especially when sometimes you have to do it twice. (But if other blogs want to use it, fair enough of course.) 

So... I've decided to go back to how things were before. People can choose to log in if they wish, or go anonymous if they wish. Although I'd prefer if you added your real name to any anonymous comments please. So Steve, Gareth, anyone else who preferred the old way; feel free to comment again if you wish.

Obviously this means the daily spam will be back, and the occasional trolling, but there are worse things to deal with in life than spambots and cowards.

One other thing; I've noticed that some people multi-post the same comment, presumably because they don't see it appearing on my blog straight away. I always have moderation enabled, so you have to wait until I'm back online before I can pass them for publication. It's the only way to stop spam being published here. 

Anyroad up. Business as usual. Carry on commenting! 

13 comments:

Gareth said...

Thanks Lew, now how about blogging about Spike? :D

Alexus said...

I love British comics, grew up reading them before moving on to Marvel/DC, but still have loads of Lion and Valiant comics in storage. My first comment, btw :-)

Lew Stringer said...

Welcome aboard, Alexus. Thanks fir commenting.

Gareth, one of these days! :)

Anonymous said...

Both my phone and tablet are Android devices so I had to have a google account from the beginning - I also downloaded the google chrome browser to use on my laptop. Google is so convenient - I never use anything else. I really don't think CAPTCHA is that incovenient - yes, sometimes you need more than one try but it's hardly a big deal. I'm sure it wouldn't stop anybody leaving a comment - it's never stopped me on any other blogs that use it.

Callum Joynes said...

Keep up the good work Lew!

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Callum! I try. ;)

Colin, perhaps it's just me who finds CAPTCHA annoying. Then again it's been an annoying week online, so perhaps I should reconsider it after the weekend break.

Steve Marchant said...

Thanks, Lew. It's good to be back!

Manic Man said...

I'm use to CAPTCHA's.. well. more RE-CAPTCHA's and the like and they are a sad necessary method in todays world.. but lets see how this turns out.. or you can hire a sectary/assistant admin.

Lew Stringer said...

Yes I would Manic, if the world of comics was like Mad Men. Sadly the reality is far different,

Good to see you back Steve!

Manic Man said...

okay, I got not idea what Madmen is meant to refer to but I yes, Money isn't as good as it could be. Though I think one bit where UK comics are becoming far better then US, is that fact that since the 70s, more and more American creators get into the field to make it rich with the 'next big thing', which was not something possible for writers or artists in the past.

John Pitt said...

My nickname for captchas is "SPAMALOTS"! ( considering what they are meant to do ). I was once accused on a site somewhere of being a robot and had to pass some tests to prove that I wasn't. I mean, me - a robot!! What an insult! Now if they'd accusede of being a DALEK I wouldn't have denied it!!

Amedeo said...

They must be a socially inadequate life-loser to trolls people for no reason, that's is the situation. Embarrassing themselves is the result, you do what you have to to shut them out Lou.

Lew Stringer said...

I've received no trolling over the last few days so perhaps whoever was posting got the message that I'm not going to publish their silly attempts to wind me up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...