NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The Christmas BEANO (1969)

I remember reading this issue on Christmas Eve 1969 before I went to bed. This is the actual copy I had. One of the few issues of the Beano that I kept from those days.

The cover is by David Sutherland, and was an unusual departure from the standard Biffo comic strip that adorned the cover any other week. 

Inside, Billy Whizz by the strip's original artist, Mal Judge, plus the answers to the cover quiz...
General Jumbo by Sandy Calder...

The Bash Street Kids by the ever-versatile David Sutherland. One of the great things about the Beano is how the characters are aware they're in a comic. Something I use myself in many of my strips.
Dennis the Menace was on the back page in those days, and it'd be a few more years before he'd oust Biffo from the front cover. Good stuff by David Law (or possibly David Sutherland ghosting his style)...
A different year, a different comic tomorrow!

By the way, you might want to visit my other blog too, where I'll be posting a few of my own Christmas strips from the past 35 years...
http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com




6 comments:

Peter Gray said...

Thanks for all these great Christmas posts..the Dennis and Gnasher one maybe its ghosted by David Sutherland?

Lew Stringer said...

I'm not sure but on closer inspection I think you could be right! I'll amend my post. Good spot, Peter.

OxfordDickie said...

This is how I remember The Beano, wish I still had my copies 😕.

Looking at General Jumbo it came to mind that with the increase in technology the character could be brought back with an app based tablet and be 'of today'.

Paul Mcscotty said...

Love these post Lew as they always bring back fond memories - I vividly remember getting this Beano and the previous Tiger comic. Looking forward to the next few before Christmas.

Lew Stringer said...

Hi O.D., I did suggest a similar idea to the editor of Glitch magazine about a boy who creates physical things with an app but it was rejected. You're right; it could be used for General Jumbo!

Thanks Paul. A few more to come, including some I know you won't have seen before!

Kevin Larkin said...

Smiffy looking cute in a balaclava (ah, ye olde days!)... and probably the most intelligent he's ever been!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...