NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Raw Newt


I thought some of you might be interested in seeing how the first episode of The Dark Newt looked when it was in the rough pencil stage prior to inking. The photo above was taken on April 30th as I was starting the series. 

You can also see the script to the left in the photo. Even when writing my own material I still do a full script, as it has to be approved first by the editor. Some artists draw their scripts in pencil first, but I've always preferred to type it out. I've always worked this way. 

As you can see, this is only the first half of the page. As I draw the pages almost twice the printed size I prefer to do them in two halves for comfort. After they're inked (and lettered, if I'm doing my own lettering), I then scan them into Photoshop to paste the two halves together, tidy up the art, make any corrections, add solid blacks, colour the page, and add the logo banner. 

You can see the finished result in The Dandy No.3590, in the shops now!

2 comments:

David said...

As a subscriber we've read the first three Dark Newt strips so far. I must say I think it is the best strip in the Dandy at the moment. A brilliant new character and I'll be emailing the editor asking for his return once the run finishes. Keep up the good work Lew

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks David. Glad you all like it. It'd be good to do a second series some day, moving the story forward to the next level.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...