NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Christmas ROVER (1967)

By 1967, Rover was the only survivor of the boys' prose fiction 'story papers' that had been so popular in the early 20th Century. I must admit, I rarely bought it. Page after page of prose stories put me off, as it was always the art that attracted me to comics. Credit to Rover for surviving so long though. It ran from 1922 to 1973.

Published by D.C. Thomson, this Christmas 1967 issue of Rover doesn't contain much festive material but here's a handful of pages for you to read, including a complete Christmas story...


I think the art on the Race Track story might be by Jeff Bevan but I'm not sure. I'm also unsure who drew the covers, but if anyone knows for sure, please post a comment.
Another Christmas comic soon! Which year will we be visiting next? Find out by visiting this blog!


2 comments:

Ray Moore said...

Hi Lew, Always enjoy your seasonal selection box. The 'Race Track' story illustration was drawn by Jeff Bevan as was the rear cover. The front cover was the work of Ian Mackay, the 'Rover and Wizard's most regular cover artist.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks, Ray. That's marvellous. I don't think I've heard of Ian Mackay before, but I never followed the Thomson adventure titles very often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...