Saturday, March 25, 2017

Thunderbooks no more

©Bill Hughes, Bill Hughes Photo.
I'm sorry to hear that Blackpool's comic shop Thunderbooks is no more after nearly 30 years. It's now under new management and has been completely refurbished and renamed Infinity Comics. I wish the new owner and his shop well, but I'll definitely miss Thunderbooks. It was one of the last of the old style comic shops and I always dropped in on my visits to the seaside resort every summer. 

At least, for now, Thunderbooks still exists on Instant Street View, and you can have a virtual reality cyber-walk around the shop as it was in Summer 2012. Click on the following link for a tour...
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.798617,-3.050182,155.95h,-5.16p,1z,Nhqgvq_UDoCOB7HGRhxw2A


©Bill Hughes, Bill Hughes Photo
It looks like the mail order arm of Thunderbooks, Star Trader, is still trading though, and you can find their website here:

The Facebook page of the new Infinity Comics store is here:

3 comments:

paul Mcscotty said...

That’s a shame I used to visit “Thuderbooks” on my (rare) long weekend visits to Blackpool and although I have not been in the city for over 7 years it was a place I always visited and got some really good books. Blackpool was always a haven for US comics when I was a kid and I remember in the late 60s - mid 70s (on the traditional family Glaswegian weekly holiday to the city - before it turned into being plagued by idiots and stag parties from my lovely city and beyond) comics were everywhere. I have great memories of picking up Alan Class books, Marvels, Skywalds, Warrens, etc (not many DC strangely enough) by the bucket load - when that all "stopped" I found Thuderbooks to fill the gap. At least a new comic store will take its place but it’s another wee bit of history/nostalgia gone.

James Spiring said...

This is Infinity's main website, which clearly needs updating: http://www.infinitycomics.co.uk/

Can't they do their own scans? They've lifted the cover for the DC Rebirth Holiday Special from a piracy site! Of all things, I wouldn't expect a comic book store to do that, it's like saying, please pirate your comics instead of buying from us.

Lew Stringer said...

It does seem counter productive but some people don't think things through that deeply, James. They wouldn't even have needed to do their own scans as they could have used any image from press releases sent to them. Ah well, their loss.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...